AMMO LASER Leak Detection System: The #1 Safety Measure with a Guaranteed Pay Back Time
Several Safety Risks threaten Urea High Pressure Equipment like high pressures, high temperatures, various kind of corrosion phenomena, crystallization risks, large volumes and release of toxic ammonia in case of a leak.
A significant number of serious incidents with Urea High Pressure Equipment still do occur in our industry and in 50% a failing leak detection system was one of the main causes.
The Risk Register for a 316L Urea Grade Reactor identifies totally 50+ safety risks of which 75% can be prevented by operating a proper leak detection system.
The AMMO LASER Leak Detection System is the most reliable HP Equipment Leak Detection System for loose liners available in the market as it is a result of detailed safety risk studies and analysis of industry incidents.
A passive leak detection system is in our view not acceptable anymore today; this is best illustrated with Incident 18-005.
The AMMO LASER Leak Detection System has following features:
- Most reliable system (refer to Risk Register Leak Detection Systems)
- Monitors directly the complete liner surface
- Continuously monitors the vacuum pressure and ammonia content
- Introduces no risks for liner bulging and rupture
- Works also when the synthesis pressure is low and when the liner sees most stresses (heating up, cooling down) and hence a leak detection system is important
- Does not restrict the leaking flow and does not built up pressure or introduce risks for backflow (refer to Incident 19-005)
- Is able to dilute the leak and hence minimize the risk of clogging
- Enables leak detection also in case the grooves are clogged caused by solids from an earlier leak (no need to flush with steam or condensate)
- Enables leak detection also in case the grooves are clogged caused by corrosion of carbon steel caused by an earlier leak
- Enables leak detection also in case only one leak detection hole is present
- Enables leak detection in case of bad design/fabrication of grooves
- Enables leak detection in case of no grooves present
- Is able to distinguish false indication from an ammonia cloud in the atmosphere from a real liner leak.
- Requires tracing and insulation of only a part of the tubing
- Can combine one ammonia analyzer for multiple equipment items (even from more urea lines)
- Gives leak rate and calculates leak size
- Includes a continuous detection for the presence of any liquid
- Allows safe and simple introduction of leak detection tracer for pinpointing the leak
- The AMMO LASER ammonia analyzer is the most accurate and reliable ammonia analyzer as it provides a DCS alarm in case out of order, is ammonia specific and is self-calibrating
- The AMMO LASER ammonia analyzer can be combined with up to seven other NH3 emission sources monitoring leading to lower ammonia consumption costs
- Requires no inert gas supply and only a low power consumption
- Already several successful references since 2017
- A Guaranteed Pay Back Time resulting from shorter shut down periods as one can find the leak faster, knows the leak size and is able to assure no damage to carbon steel pressure bearing wall
- Plus a Guaranteed Pay Back Time resulting from lower NH3 consumption figures
- SAIPEM, as owner and licensor of the Snamprogetti™ Urea Technology, approves the AMMO LASER Leak Detection System for application in all its plants
Frequently Asked Questions